Case Studies in the Initial Management of a Person with HIV:
A STEP-HIV Initiative
No Longer Available for Credit
Estimated Time to Complete: 1.0 hours
Jointly Provided by
Support for this activity has been made possible through
an educational grant from Gilead Sciences.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Dolutegravir (DTG) exposure around the time of conception has been associated with a small but significant increase in the prevalence of infant neural tube defects (NTDs) in Botswana, where food is not routinely fortified with folate. Although this prevalence of NTDs with periconception DTG (0.19%) was higher than the prevalence for NTDs in infants born to women who were receiving efavirenz (0.07%) and women without HIV (0.07%), the risk was not significantly increased compared to women with HIV receiving any non-DTG antiretroviral regimen at conception (0.11%, risk difference [0.09% difference; 95% CI 0.03%, 0.30%]). Based on this updated evidence, the perinatal guideline panel recommends DTG as preferred for pregnant women, regardless of trimester, and for all women trying to conceive. For more information, click here.
Resource to Support You and Your Care Team:
- Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV. https://clinicalinfo.hiv.gov/en/guidelines/adult-and-adolescent-arv/whats-new-guidelines
- Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults: 2020 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. https://www.iasusa.org/resources/guidelines/
- Primary Care Guidance for Persons With Human Immunodeficiency Virus: 2020 Update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1391/5956736
- European AIDS Clinical Society Guidelines for treatment of people living with HIV. https://www.eacsociety.org/guidelines/eacs-guidelines/eacs-guidelines.html
- British HIV Association Clinical Guidelines. https://www.bhiva.org/ClinicalGuidelines
- World Health Organization Guidelines. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/earlyrelease-arv/en
- HIV Drug Interactions. University of Liverpool. https://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/checker